Sunday 6 May 2012

My boy's birth

I have such a strong memory of the birth of my precious boy. How can that be? How can I recall every bit of an occasion that happened thirteen years ago. How can I pull forth the memory of how his birth started, progressed and ended.


Perhaps I am not alone, perhaps all mothers remember the birth of each child. Perhaps the occasion is so momentous that it is forever etched in our brains.


My husband was due to fly out of town on business, in fact he even got as far as the airport! Needless to say, after telling him that I was adamant that our treasure was about to be born, he cancelled his trip and came back home to me. He wasn't too pleased about the lack of progress and he went to bed in a grumpy mood!I hustled myself into the spare room to also try and get some sleep. 


Around midnight, I needed to nip to the loo......... imagine my horror when I found that I had been swamped in blood. I can't tell you how scared I was! I was beside myself with worry and imagining the worst case scenario.


The hospital staff also seemed to be on a go slow that night. However, by 2pm I was hooked up to monitors and reassured that all was right with my baby. Obviously it all began to get a bit sore (fricking painful if you really want to know!!). My husband duly requested an epidural for me (this was my second birth and my first was without pain relief, except for that ridiculous gas).


I was extremely fortunate that my epidural was 100% text book! I then heard via the nursing sister that my gynie wouldn't be coming in until a more respectable hour....... What! This baby wanted to be born and my gynie wasn't coming.... I was so irritated! Anyway, we sat there until 6am! Yes I know we had only been there for four hours, but I have extremely quick births.


The gynie eventually rocked up just after 6am, dressed in a suit no less and wearing white boots! After much pushing and panting without any pain, my boy arrived by 6.30am.


We were over the moon and also a bit flabbergasted at the amount of hair on his head (my previous baby had been born without a hair on his head!). He was a big bonnie baby and I fell in love with him instantly.


My husband had his cell phone with him, so I made a call to my mother to let her know the good news. Before blurting out "it's a boy", my mother said "Hello, are you ringing to wish me a Happy Birthday?"


Ooops!!


"Hey Mum", I say. "Well actually, I am phoning to tell you that you have a grandson!"


HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 


If you enjoyed this, there are more birth stories over at Actually Mummy and also at #Blogitforbabies.  This is a campaign by Save the Children to highlight the appalling lack of neonatal and postnatal care in many countries around the world, and the dreadful toll on women and children that it causes.




2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What a great present for her! I hope she was duly pleased - thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Actually Mummy
    She was delighted... thankfully she forgot that I didn't buy her a birthday present!!! Ha ha! :)
    Glad to link up.. I love birth stories!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a comment ~ I will always reply! x