Thursday 3 May 2012

Reflections

My son, he sits at the edge of an unloved patch of garden just outside my front door. He is a wee boy, still chewing on a dummy, still a baby really. He has found some ants, lots of scurrying tiny black ants. They fascinate him and he continually tries to pick them up. 


I think to myself, wow, this is easy! What a good baby, amusing himself, happy, content..... 


Little did I realize at the time, that his continuous repetitive behavior was an indicator for autism!  





2 comments:

  1. I have a daughter now 26 years old; I get what you mean. She used to like me reading the same page over and over again of a book; I thought it was cute and unique, I had no idea what else it could represent. (she was later diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty
      I find autism incredibly fascinating, no matter where the person is on the spectrum. What is your daughter doing now? Is she living independently or is she at home with you... apologies for being nosy!! :)

      Delete

Hello, thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Please leave a comment ~ I will always reply! x